Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Compassion

I wear an old Tibetan prayer coin almost daily........I touch it often, reminding myself to keep compassion in my life. The Mantra of Great Compassion, OM MANI PADME HUNG, loosely
translates to "the jewel in the lotus".........happiness in the heart.

We search so hard for happiness, it seemed today that each person who came to my class was possessed, grasping for happiness. Incredible drama seemed to be the norm, and there was great difficulty in going inward for most who came to class.......It was two of the most exhausting classes that I have taught in a long time. Yes, I wore my coin today, and I touched it many times repeating the Mantra of Great Compassion and praying that I teach each class with wisdom.

When there is pain, there is little belief that happiness lives in your heart......and when you begin to understand that you can't control everything around you, the drama just builds. I persevered, encouraging lots of breath work, moving through asanas that open the heart, speaking softly, encouraging everyone to look within......to believe if only for a moment that happiness was in their hearts, waiting for them to accept it.

Slowly, the drama subsided, the breath became slow and even, tears faded, pain stopped.
Once again, I was reminded of how powerful compassion is, how powerful the breath can be, and how the asanas can calm, and how truly magical savasana/relaxation can be. When the classes
were over, my own energy was pretty much depleted, but for those who came to class in turmoil, they left in peace. It was a good day.

5 comments:

  1. Christmas can be a stressful time for a lot of people. I wonder if that was part of the reason people were upset. I wish I didn't, but I always feel upset and stressed at Christmas. I notice how much better I feel on the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hatred, jealousy and excessive attachment cause suffering and agitation. I feel compassion can help us overcome these disturbances and let us return to a calm state of mind. Compassion is not just being kind to your friend. That involves attachment because it is based on expectation. Compassion is when you do something good without any expectations – based on realizing that 'the other person is also just like me'." -- Dalai Lama

    Best wishes and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your energy may have been depleted but your soul was full. T.he act of spreading compassion to me is in itself rejuvenating.

    I have a stone, no coin, just a stone I carry everyday. Peace my child and happy new year!
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks to all of you for the kind comments

    ReplyDelete