Monday, December 12, 2011

Send a Card

 We received a Christmas card from our friends in Ireland today.  I know that we all communicate electronically most of the time,  e-mails, texts, calls.....but to get a handwritten note or card from someone
makes my day.    Often students give me cards or notes, and I keep them all in a red leather book.  On days when I struggle, when I question what I do........I sit and read those cards and notes.

Those cards, those notes are some of my most prized possessions.  They serve as reminders, that somewhere, sometime in my life, I helped someone.  I try to send cards and notes as often as I can, maybe the gesture doesn't mean as much to some as it does to me,  but I will continue to send them out.

I think that Christmas cards are of my most favorite traditions.  Picking out a card, taking the time to write a note and mail it........that is one of the things that makes this season special.  We live busy lives, we live fast, but the old fashioned sentiment of mailing a card........is refreshing and appealing.

Dick Blick says I will get my blank cards tomorrow, that means tomorrow afternoon, the painting frenzy will begin.  Rick always says, you can go buy some cards.....and there have been years that I did, but not many.  I love to paint those cards, to send them out, to know that there are friends who look forward to getting them, as much as I look forward to seeing that card postmarked, Tullamore, Ireland.

I know that mailing Christmas cards does not appeal to everyone.......but don't shortchange yourself.....
send a birthday card, or a thank you, or just a note to say hello.  Brighten someone's day......imagine their surprise when they open a card instead of a bill!  Send a get well card or thinking of you to someone who is ill,  sending a card is such a warm heartfelt gesture, you will never be forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. You are right. Giving cards does make people feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sending and receiving cards. I don't think I'll ever stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I've just commented on Rick's blog saying that one of my most favouritist things at Christmas is sending and receiving christmas cards through the post!! Yay!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete