Sunday, February 26, 2012

It Just Is

"You must hear the bird's song without attempting to render it into nouns and verbs."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every time I read this quote it makes me think of something different.....and I really do try not to over think it.  But, don't we all do that, we hear or see something and usually instead of just taking it at face value, we try to "read" it.

Hearing a bird's song.....and just hear it for what it is......a beautiful voice of the bird making music.
We see beauty around us, yet we ignore the beauty and go for all that is harsh and ugly.
We feel the wind and rain, and only  think of storms.... not the drink of water for the earth or the cleansing of the air by the wind.  We feel the cold, and instead of looking at winter as a time of rest......we complain of the cold,  and wish for summer.
Emrson's quote to me is a fancy way of saying......just be.  Just listen to the song, just feel the wind
and the cold......just be, where you are, seeing and listening to all that is going on around you.
Don't try to make it more or less......just be......hear the song for what it is.
Sometimes nothing has to be explained.....it just is.

3 comments:

  1. I think we do the same with people too, sometimes. We impose our own meanings on a neutral statement, or interpret behaviour in ways that make sense to us but which might not be intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of people saying over the past couple of years, "It is what it is." Sometimes it sounds like someone saying "I don't know what else to say," but I think there is a lot to be said for it too. Don't over analyse, it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! Sometimes I make life difficult for myself by over analysing things when it's just simpler to accept stuff for what it is! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete