Sunday, November 3, 2013

Daylight Savings Time

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."  - Free Your Mind and Think

I saw this on Face Book, it made me laugh......but it is pretty  much how I feel about Daylight Savings.  I have never liked it, it has never made sense to me.  I think it contributes to our crazed thought process of never spending any time in stillness of always looking for some way to go as hard as we can 24/7.  I believe we have messed with our bio-rhythms and inner time clocks so much  our bodies no longer know when to work or rest.  

Fall and winter, the shorter days, longer nights.......it is a time to slow down, and rest not only for nature, but I think for humans as well.  We need the contemplation, the starkness and bareness, the darkness,  to remind us of growth and rebirth.......and to be grateful for the longer, warmer more fruitful days of spring and summer.
This switching, this turning back, springing forward......what a waste of energy, and I think quite a bit of arrogance.


2 comments: