Friday, April 11, 2014

"A Lamp in the Darkness"

 A few months ago, a student gave me a book, " A Lamp in the Darkness" (illuminating the path through difficult times) by Jack Kornfield.  I had it and several others in a stack to read.  I took it with me yesterday and read the first couple of chapters.......today I finished it.  I am a true believer that timing is everything.......and it was time for me to read this book.  There are so many profound words about  healing in this book......today as I read it, I found the comfort and hope that I felt had been lost yesterday.

Chapter nine, begins with a prayer that the Dalai Lama is said to to pray every morning....... from this day forward, it will be my prayer also.......and I hope it is yours as well.

"May I be a guard for those who need protection; a guide for those on the path; a boat, a raft, a bridge for those to cross the flood; may I be a lamp in the darkness; a resting place for the weary, and a healing medicine for all who are sick. For as long as Earth and sky endure, may I assist until all living beings are awakened."

There is not a one of us who hasn't or will not go through hard times.......death, illness, loss, betrayal.....but I believe we make it through because someone becomes our guard, bridge, lamp, resting place or medicine.  We cannot make it through this life without each other.

Blessings of peace, healing and love to you all this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I do pray every morning and find that my troubles don't magically disappear but I seem to be able to handle them better or get inspiration for solutions. I read a quote about all of us being angels with only one wing..we need each other to fly...have a good weekend Jilda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilda- I have not read that before. It is deeply profound and stirring. I do think we all find things along the path of life just when we need them the most- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Jilda, I need to read this book and I totally believe we need to be there for people when we can and accept help when we need it. Like you said, we all suffer pain and loss throughout our lives ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the - many - things I enjoy about your blog is I always get great titles to add to my reading list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete