Sunday, January 11, 2015

Trend Setter

" To meditate does not mean to fight with a problem, to meditate means to observe."  - Thich Nhat Hanh

It seems that every magazine I pick up these days has an article on meditation......it is the next "big thing".  Ha,ha......brings a smile to my face, I have been teaching meditation classes for years, practicing for years.......generations have practiced meditation for a few thousand years.

But I am thrilled that we are finally "getting it".  That the masses are understanding that calming the mind, learning to observe and not struggle has incredible benefits.  Awareness of your breath is life changing and now thanks to the media, and the rich and famous......everyone can learn the value of something so simple.

The simplest way to meditate......just sit and breathe, when your thoughts rush through your brain, it's ok, notice your breath, observe your thoughts remember it's practice, like yoga or playing the piano or riding a bike.......practice......set a timer for  five minutes, then get comfortable, close your eyes and breathe, notice your breath, don't judge you thoughts, an itch, a pain......just notice your breath.

As I often tell my classes......meditation won't make the bad days go away (life happens) but will help you deal with the bad days much better.  I'm such a trend setter......ha, ha.  :)

Goodnight, Sweet dreams

2 comments:

  1. Meditation calms the body and mind so you are able to deal with whatever comes along with a clear head. It is a good break from the outside of yourself to the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the 60's when everyone thought meditation was "groovy"! I'm finding out how breathing techniques helps me get through the pain of surgery and also helps me to push myself to bend and straighten these knees! Keeps me from killing the physical therapists!

    ReplyDelete