Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Grief Moments

My cousin Nina called me today.  Her mom, my Aunt Betty had passed away in March and Rick and I had sung at the service.  Nina emailed a video and a picture of us she had taken that day.
Hearing Nina talk about her bouts of grief, her gnawing need to visit her mom reminded all too well of those moments when I miss my mom, my dad, my brother and friends who have passed on.

I remember those raw extreme moments of drowning in grief after each parent and my brother passed.  I would lose my breath and it seemed that every cell in my body ached.  Sometimes the tears would not stop until my eyes hurt.  Finally fresh grief gave way to what I called sneaky grief...the days were going better and then BAM, grief just kicked you in the butt.  Eventually, the grief becomes bearable, but still hits when you least expect it...that is now, some 25, 10 years later.

But, Aunt Betty's service was sweet and poignant and it was an honor to be a part of it.
Below is the photo at the service.

1 comment:

  1. It is a lovely photo. I understand what you say about missing loved ones who have died. I miss my departed loved ones every day. I find that talking about them helps immensely. If something reminds me of one of them I say so. I don't know why it makes me feel better but it does.

    ReplyDelete