Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Rain

When I got up this morning, I heard a clap of thunder, ran to the front door and saw raindrops as big as nickels falling from the sky.  I smelled that glorious smell of rain on dry earth and whispered a prayer of thanks.

We had walked in the garden yesterday, and Rick and I both knew if rain did not fall soon we would lose the garden, and the fruit hanging on the apple, pear and fig trees.   Today after almost an hour of rain, our world looked very different.

Our lives don't depend on what we grow, we supplement our table and our families tables with our crops.  We stress about the small garden and orchard, their well being and their bounty or lack of bounty.  I think of my mom and dad's families during the depression, of no food because of drought or other weather conditions, and no money to buy food. I can remember my mom talking about so many meals of only bread and water.  We are all so spoiled.

I am grateful that my parents taught me life skills...like how to grow food, how to cook, how to do laundry, to clean...I wasn't wild about those lessons when they were being taught, but I am grateful for them now.

With the holiday this week, my days seem rather backward.  All day I thought I was running behind, all day, I thought it was Monday.  Wow, tomorrow is hump day.

Time for a cup of hot tea.
Goodnight, Sweet dreams

2 comments:

  1. "...life skills..." - what a powerful pair of words! Those were the days...when parents took resposability. Nowadays parents want the school to do it all; it's not possible and it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete