Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Gift

Those who know me best know that I need daylight to function.  I get up most mornings when the world is dark, but with enough coffee and daylight, I come to life.  I love teaching my early  class on Wednesdays but leaving home in the dark takes some effort.  There are payoffs.  Today was one of them.

As I drove to work, headed  toward the east I saw the waning moon and there below it were subtle streaks of crimson peaking through the darkness.  The sun was waking up, getting ready to claim the sky and steal the moon's thunder.  As I parked in the lot, I gazed in my rearview mirror and saw my gift.  The horizon was crimson and tangerine and up above those streaks of brilliance the waning moon was shining with all its might.

As I got out of my car and stood in the morning chill, tears came to my eyes.  For an instant I was blinded by the beauty of the dawn. I realized I was holding my breath and as I breathed I felt gratitude for such a gift.  There is no way a camera on a phone could do justice to what I saw, but I tried.  Tonight, this photo is my gift to you.

Goodnight, Sweet dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment