Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Pre-Thanksgiving Thoughts

I taught three classes today.  One this morning at 7:00 and then went back this afternoon at 2:30 and taught until 5:30.  In between I got the house ready for the crew coming for lunch tomorrow.  Tonight I did some food prep, but the clock will awake me at 5:30 in the morning and it will be all systems go.  I have lists and have checked them twice.

Some of my students are going home for Thanksgiving, others are not.  The ones who stay are at peace with it, some are happy about it.  Each cottage will cook a turkey dinner tomorrow and the students who did not go home will have our staff for support and fellowship.  As a soldier once told me, there are worse places to be for the holidays than an addiction center.  The same soldier told me it was his first Christmas in seven years that he had not slept on the ground somewhere.  It's all perspective isn't it?

My brother and his family will all come for lunch tomorrow, so will our friend Fred.  This will be the first Thanksgiving without our friend Louis.  I miss him so much.  Last year he brought his famous slaw and crawfish dressing.  Yummy!  There are still days that go by and I wonder why he hasn't called me.  I miss his voice and his laughter.

My bed calls my name, so does my cup of hot tea.  But, I am grateful tonight, for friends and family, for a roof over my head and plenty to eat.  I am also very grateful for my job, for the opportunity to teach the incredible students who walk into my room and who change my life daily. And I am also grateful to those who read my blog, you humble me.
Goodnight, Sweet dreams


2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful day tomorrow Jilda. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot to be thankful for just like me. My life isn't perfect but it's a beautiful life.
    Happy Thanksgiving Jilda.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete